Thursday, May 12, 2016

Yogurt - In the Slow Cooker?

Homemade yogurt - in a slow cooker?  REALLY??  No way!



I started to wonder if this could actually be done - so I set out to test it! I started with good old Pinterest and found some recipes that I liked from "Money Saving Mom" (which I followed more closely for timing) and "One Good Thing by Jillee". I sort of mashed them together for a test run, and I think I like the results!

I've done a quick taste test - I think it's a keeper! I have to play with mixing it more as it is not as smooth as I would like - but it set up nice and is definitely yogurt! 




Ingredients:

1/2 Gallon milk (8 cups) - whole milk will make your yogurt thicker

1/2 cup plain, unflavored yogurt (this is your starter)
1.5 cups dry powdered milk (again, to bump up your protein and make your yogurt thicker)

Pour your milk and powdered milk into your slow cooker (stir until it is all dissolved!) and turn it on low. Cook for 2 hours, 45 minutes (it should reach about 180F - I tested mine with a candy thermometer). SET YOUR TIMER! After 2 hours, 45 minutes, turn your slow cooker OFF and let it sit for 3 hours. Don't remove your lid, don't peek!ile

moticon


After 3 hours, take a bit of your cooled down milk (about a cup) and put it into a small bowl. Combine this with your 1/2 cup yogurt starter and mix together thoroughly. Pour this mixture back into your slow cooker and mix it around well. Put the lid back on and wrap your entire crockpot a large beach towel (unplug your slow cooker first!). This step helps the crock retain heat and cool more slowly.

Let this sit on your counter for 8-12 hours wrapped in the towel (I let mine sit overnight from 8pm-8am). When you get up in the morning, you should find thickened yogurt - HORRAY!!!! Spoon into your storage jars/containers and put it in the fridge for a couple hours before eating.




This should keep for 1-2 weeks in your fridge. Save 1/2 cup of it for your starter for the next batch!





So, be sure you are home when you start this project as you need to watch your timing 
smile emoticon
 I started mine around 2pm in the afternoon, which seems to be enough time to finish before letting it sit overnight.


Yields: 7.5 cups of yogurt (approx)

Cost to make: about $5.75
Cost to purchase same amount of Store-Bought yogurt: approx $13.75 (assuming regular prices!).
SAVINGS: about $8.

Wowsa! That's a pretty big savings!  Of course, you can sometimes get Greek Yogurt on sale for around $3/container - but still, it's a savings AND you know what you've put into it!

I hope you will try and experiment yourself!  Enjoy!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment